February 01, 2010

Weight Lifting

Sometimes folks tease me about being short. This is my response!

"An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox." - Chinese proverb

When I was little, on long summer days when I couldn't think of anything to do, I'd sit on our back steps and watch ants. I was fascinated. They always seemed to know exactly what they were doing and where they were going. I watched how they would work together to carry food morsels that were so huge they dwarfed the already tiny ants. 
As I ponder the pursuit of a goal or a dream, I recall the ants. Working together, filled with their instinct of purpose, they tirelessly collaborate for communication and burden sharing. I draw a lot from this. In encouraging others in their dream pursuit, I frequently find myself sharing 3 things that I thought I'd share with you:

1. Find your tribe. Find others that are following similar pursuits and align yourself with them to gain and give support and encouragement.
A great book to inspire this kind of thinking is: Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us

2. Keep your eyes open for key individuals who can assist/help you. These help lift your arms and make you stronger.
 A Game Plan for Life: The Power of Mentoring will really create passion about both finding AND being a mentor.

3. Focus on your sense of purpose. Purpose is your compass.



0 comments:

Post a Comment