January 11, 2011

What Matters Most: Sanctuary

This is a "Daily Dreams" sketch depicting the importance of "sanctuary".

   My husband thinks best when he's pacing. One of my daughters thinks best twirling a strand of hair. Some of my students think best drumming their table (to my chagrin). I think better doodling. In thinking through various aspects of pursuing a dream or an aspiration,  my practice of"Daily Dreams" has been a great avenue.

 This sketch (a color study for a future painting) unpacks the importance of sanctuary. Here's my thought process: Although it is highly beneficial to surround oneself with individuals who encourage and inspire, there is a certain invisible cocoon where there must be a quiet acceptance of one's own responsibility. There needs to be a place of sanctuary - a place of protective stillness, a haven, shelter. There must be a place within ourselves where we can be still, contemplate, and reflect.

These words- sanctuary and haven - seems so foreign today, don't they? With the screaming white noise pressing around us, stillness requires purposeful intention. I propose, however, that by neglecting to cultivate such a place we will inevitably falter in the marathon set before us of following a "life dream". 

I love this eloquent quote:

I said to my soul, be still, and wait...So the darkness shall be the light, and the stillness the dancing.
T.S. Eliot 

I encourage you, dear friend, in whatever path of pursuit you are marching toward. Consider how you might cultivate a place of sanctuary. Giving oneself the permission to be still has surprising effects. For me, a small pad of paper is my sanctuary. Tell me yours. Is it walking, savoring a cup of tea, journaling, prayer, listening to music? Tell me your journey in developing a time and place for "sanctuary". I love hearing others' insight; it is often the fuel for my art.






0 comments:

Post a Comment