March 17, 2010

A Downtown Dream


 




Bill Kalkhof, your dream has come to life!...........Almost!

So close! Almost there. I feel like the "little engine that could!" I just have a few minor touches to give a few spots and that's all folks!....Well, that's all for THIS, Dream Portrait, that is! Tomorrow I'll  give a bit more definition to the "little pink folks" on the sidewalk across the street. They need just a little bit more shadow contrast  and some touchs up on the cars will also be taken care of to finish things off. Then I'll sign it and Voila!
Have I mentioned that not only have I conquered my dislike for the color  purple during this painting, but I have also conquered my dislike of painting cars!
 I'm going ahead and letting you see the whole image now. Aren't I nice? But you really need to come see it in person because my current camera I am using is not really showing me the color- love at all!  (Last night my wonderful hubby and I began looking for a better camera! If anyone would like to recommend one, that would be great! ) 
This painting has been an adventure and has really gone through a metamorphasis. But, I consider that fitting for a portrait of Durham. Wouldn't you agree? The biggest challenge, I think, was the color plan. Using the requested "purple pallete" was tricky in that I really needed to consider what other colors to incorporate in order to keep it from looking dreary. I think the finished piece, with it's bits of greens, blues and salmons,  does reflect the spirit of a hope filled dream of "Durham being a fun place..."
I puposely painted representatives of a wide age span into  the composition. This assortment shows a  favorable magnetic attraction for folks of all ages to be drawn to enjoy downtown. 
I have to tell you a little secret, too.  I painted our little dog in the painting. He's actually there not once, but twice! It's a little tongue in cheek message because we actually desire to move downtown and I thought it only appropriate to include him in the happy throng. Also, adding animals always tends to enliven a work. 
Thanks to all who are traveling along this journey of Durham Dreams! I always feel a little better, knowing you're there. ...Are you there?
This Friday evening is the unveiling of the painting at Goldenbelt! See you then, if you can!
Eleatta

1 comments:

Thank you for the "Dream Interpretations" segment. I can actually feel the different

Post a Comment