May 06, 2010

Behind the Easel




Tonight I thought I'd let my guard down a bit. Ready? Last night I slept 12 hours! You see, for the last couple of months I've been averaging 4 -5 hours sleep and I finally crashed! In preparing for the launch of Durham Dreams and diving into this exciting project, I have been pushing hard on all fronts and was ordered by good friends and a devoted hubby to STOP and rest. I share this, not to garner sympathy, but to tell a background story about Durham Dreams.
  In gathering stories from the participants whose dreams for Durham I'm painting, one of the common threads I clearly heard was the acknowledgement of support systems, friends, and colleagues around them that helped make their contributions to Durham possible.This is an important attribute to celebrate. Reminded of the famous line from Dunn's poem, "No man is an island", I chose the painting from my Dream Series, "Lassoing Dreams" to become the logo for Durham Dreams. It is a visual reminder that just as no dream has ever been accomplished in a vacuum, neither has a dream ever materialized without the help of others.
 Therefore, tonight I want to honor my own support system. My amazing husband, without whose support, encouragement and practical assistance , I could not even be attempting Durham Dreams, I am forever indebted and devoted. I also want to honor my amazing friends who continually encourage me and cheer me on.In addition I thank my amazing colleagues of Trinity School of Durham Chapel Hill  who lift my spirit daily. Lastly, I am grateful for the Durham Dream sponsor,FutureWave Consulting . Oh, and I almost forgot! I am thankful for YOU! Thank YOU for joining me in this dream of honoring dreamers in Durham! I've always heard, "If you have one true friend you are rich." Well, if this is true, I suppose that makes me a billionaire! 
So tonight I hit the easel again but this time refreshed, thankful.....and rich.

Durham Dreamer for the month of May is Mary Ann Black. Her completed Dream Portrait will be unveiled May21st with a reception celebrating the dream of this wonderful, well loved woman and leader in Durham.  The reception will be 5-6 PM at Goldenbelt studio #114, 807 E Main Durham NC.



0 comments:

Post a Comment