June 01, 2010

Behind the Easel



Durham Dreams: painting the dreams of Durham’s leaders
This month’s “dream portrait” features the interpretation of Bill Shore’s dream for Durham.In reviewing my interview with Bill, his sincere desire is for the betterment of the youth of Durham. Specifically, he longs to see “young people come to know the opportunities that are out there waiting for them. I want to see them somehow guided through the maze of challenges that often surround their home life.” In interpreting this dream, a few of the symbols I am using are such images as  locks, keys and mazes. I will be posting portions of the portrait here. In addition, I’ll be sharing even more “behind the scenes” info here: The Art of Eleatta Diver Info | Facebook
An announcement:
Since developing the “Dream Series” paintings, my greatest joy has been talking with people about their dreams, hopes and aspirations. As an example, a piece like,The Power of Dreams has been a spring board to some amazing conversations with patrons and visitors to my studio.
 When I get an email telling me how one of my prints has inspired someone to believe in their dream, I am so excited. In fact, I get so much feed back from folks telling me about their dreams, I’ve decided to tweak this blog a bit. I am going to begin offering book reviews, excerpts, articles, quotes etc. that I’ve found to be encouraging in light of pursuing a dream. I hope these will be fuel for your own dream pursuit. 
An inspiration :
Recently I found this great little poem about stepping out of the “comfort zone.” Since pursuing a dream starts by deciding to step outside this box of defeat, I thought I’d offer it first.
Comfort Zone :  Anonymous
I used to have a Comfort Zone
Where I knew I couldn't fail
The same four walls of busy work
Were really more like jail.
I longed so much to do the things
I'd never done before,
But I stayed inside my Comfort Zone
And paced the same old floor
I couldn't let my life go by,
Just watching others win.
I held my breath and stepped outside
And let the change begin.
I took a step and with new strength
I'd never felt before,
I kissed my Comfort Zone "goodbye"
And closed and locked the door.
If you are in a Comfort Zone,
Afraid to venture out,
Remember that all winners were
At one time filled with doubt.
A step or two and words of praise,
Can make your dreams come true.
Greet your future with a smile,
Success is there for you!
Why do you think it’s so hard to step out of that “zone? I know for me it usually boils down to fear. What do you dream about doing? Are you inching out of your “zone”? I’d love to hear from you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment