April 22, 2012

A Do-Over!



When "Up, Up and Away!" really got up and left.
Recently, while working on my contribution to the Behind the Seen Exhibition, I found myself thinking of the well known idiom, "Don't beat a dead horse." I had been working on the painting but felt like I was spinning my wheels and going nowhere fast! Two days before the commission's "due date", I decided to completely rework it.

From the beginning
The initial composition captured two figures, a mom and daughter, close to the neck of a horse. I knew from the beginning, it was going to be a challenging composition to pull off. After lots of hours trying to make it work, I knew it was a "dead horse". I knew the only thing to do was to get rid of it….and rework it from scratch. Below, are a few pics from early stages:





A good choice
After I'd painted over the canvas in a light blue, and started the new composition's sketch, I knew I'd made the right decision.

Now, that's more like it!
It began to flow. The second rendition more clearly communicated the story I wanted to portray - a mom's desire for her daughter to transcend her obstacles and trials.
Good, better, best...
The first was just OK. The second better describes the heart of the painting's inspiration- overcoming difficulties.
It has been an honor to be selected to help portray this family's story and to be a part of Behind the Seen. I can't wait for the unveiling next month and to share it with the mom and daughter represented. I'll share more as the story unfolds.



If you enjoyed this post, please share it with a friend and remember to sign up for updates by email or RSS. Thanks for visiting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment