February 17, 2011

Roots of Fortitude

"Rooted in Love", a 5x7 oil pastel color study from "Daily Dreams' series.

The purpose of this blog is to offer encouragement in the process of pursuing a dream, goal or aspiration.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.--Helen Keller




 Several weeks ago, as I turned the page of my small sketchpad where I record ongoing thoughts on the pursuit of a dream, goal or desire, I considered the subject for the morning's theme - the inward strength, stamina and fortitude that is needed to grow an aspiration.


 I thought on the importance of a plant's root system. Just as growth occurs or falters in proportion to the the health of the root, so does an individual thrive or languish according to the integrity of character. Fortitude of spirit in the face of trials and conflicts makes all the difference.


 As I smeared oil pastel and carved Prismacolor, I found myself weaving an intricately laced heart- laden root system. Dubbing the piece, "Rooted in Love", it conveys the truth that character, rooted in tenacious love, bears the best kind of fruit.


0 comments:

Post a Comment