February 29, 2012

Face the Fears

A page from my sketch/prayer journal.


You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt


      FEAR, that miserable nuisance that gnaws at your gut, mercilessly squeezes and hungrily holds us hostage.

 We humans are fear magnets. Have you noticed? Our fears create internal land mines and mazes of self doubt. We fear not looking like we have our act together. We fear being rejected. We fear being vulnerable.


 But, I've noticed fear hides a dirty little secret. It's bark is louder than it's bite. I'm a slow learner though, and this understanding has regrettably taken most of my life to learn. 
 When I feel the hot sticky breath of fear on my back, I'm a lot quicker these days, to turn and square off with them. The majority slink off and dissipate. Stubborn ones, serve as reminders to be courageous.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear." Mark Twain






If you enjoyed this post, please share it with a friend and remember to sign up for updates by email or RSS. Thanks for visiting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment