February 09, 2012

Love Day's Coming!

Sketchbook journaling

 So, I don't know if you ever think about things like this, but I do. Most of the real meanings of the "holidays" we celebrate are buried under piles of commercial clutter.

 In my (almost daily) sketchbook/prayer journaling, I was thinking about our associations with LOVE. Aside from romance, chic flicks and Disney endings, LOVE is really a pretty gutsy sort of word.

  Since celebrating our 30th anniversary this year, I've retraced the steps that have gotten us this far in our commitment to one another. It's a whole lot more than just roses and romance.

  Recently, I came across the best way I've ever heard of explaining what REAL love is all about . I made a sketch to remind myself.


 This description of love's attributes is amazing. I came across it in the The Message translation of a time tested text: 1 Corinthians 13. It goes like this:

Love never gives up. 
   Love cares more for others than for self. 
   Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. 
   Love doesn't strut, 
   Doesn't have a swelled head, 
   Doesn't force itself on others, 
   Isn't always "me first," 
   Doesn't fly off the handle, 
   Doesn't keep score of the sins of others, 
   Doesn't revel when others grovel, 
   Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, 
   Puts up with anything, 
   Trusts God always, 
   Always looks for the best, 
   Never looks back, 
   But keeps going to the end.

Here are some pics from the surprise 30th our children put together for us:


Faith, John, Grace and Bryan conspired together to surprise us!

Visiting friends at Carolina Beach
If you enjoyed this post, please share it with a friend and remember to sign up for updates by email or RSS. Thanks for visiting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment