August 30, 2010

A Family Reunion


A Blur!
The last two weeks have been a blur. I was planning and preparing for a giant family reunion. Well, sort of....The last two weeks of August are always marked by the impending beginning of another school year of teaching art to elementary children.
Old Friends
 I compare the process to a family reunion because I have the privilege of seeing children grow from year to year. I also have the repeated pleasure of bringing in old family friends like Henri Matisse, Georgia O’Keefe, Vincent VanGogh, Paul Klee, Marc Chagall, Mary Cassatt.....the list is long and inclusive. I spend days kneeling among strewn books  planning new and memorable ways to introduce yet another crop of youngsters to these dear family legends.
Why?
Some say, “Eleatta, why do you love this so much?” My response is that I consider it part of my duty as an artist to do my part to convince the next generation even in this small way, that they are creative beings. It is my hope that my students will grow up remembering my fervent enthusiasm and bludgeoning words, “You are creative!” as applied to whatever field of endeavor they pursue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment